Monday 21 July 2014

Halfway through the holidays!

I often wonder how I manage to fill these six weeks of holiday each year, especially when there are no major events, like weddings or babies arriving, to structure my whole holiday around.  I go back to work and feel a bit unsure about how I filled my days and worry that I've wasted it.  So, now that I'm halfway through I thought it would be a nice time to reflect on some of the lovely things I've done :)



Look at the shiney :)
1.  I went to see the Kelpies.  

Until recently, the only awareness I had of the Kelpies was what I saw when driving by them on the motorway.  Usually, I get a good look at because all the cars in front of me slow down when they pass (which makes me a bit ragey.) But the new Helix park in Falkirk was quite lovely.  Complete with pretend beach, boat trip (that is about 5 metres long...the actual trip, not the boat), huge horse heads and SUNSHINE, it was a lovely day :)


Lone Kelpie.  Eyeing up the peoples for lunch.

Very pretty stones on the fake beach.



 2.  Adventures with my favourite baby cousin.

We went on a tram.  All the way to the Gyle.  Then crossed the road and came right back.


 
He taught me how to make loom bands.  And now I am one of the cool kids.








We went to the National Museum of Scotland and looked at some old stuff.  And, of course, played in the race car thing.  We had a picnic, meals out, watched Harry Potter, ate popcorn and had lots of time for chats and games.  Don't get any older, wee boy!




3.  Adventures to Northern Ireland.

My little niece and nephew are soon to turn 1 and 3.  I love these little people so so much, and am delighted that I am able to see them this often over the summer months.  I had a lovely few days visiting them, having cuddles, going for walks, picnicking, playing, counting and taking photos.  Only a few days until they're here for more cuddles!
My wee bro and his boy :)


4.  Road trip the the Lake District.



Myself and a couple of my worky pals took a pretty spontaneous trip to the Lake District, and stayed in a tiny wee village called Pooley Bridge.  When we arrived, it was such a lovely day and everything just looked beautiful.  We took a boat trip on Ullswater Lake.  












Beautiful sunset


Look at how delicious (my) dessert was!!


Then we went for dinner in Penrith, had a wee wander, didn't get too lost and ate some yummy food!  




The next day, we went for a drive and got a bit lost.  We took my car ON THE FERRY(!!) across Lake Windermere, and then went to visit Beatrix Potter's cottage (and saw the real Peter Rabbit.)  There were a lot of Chinese tourists...
Note the umbrellas by the door.  It was pretty wet...



Then it was time for the trip back up the road, which involved driving down tiny country lanes behind a bus that thought it was double the size that it really was...luckily, it also involve Krispy Kremes and Starbucks :)



5.  Hanging out with my pals

It's quite sad, because I have managed to see so many of my lovely pals, yet have hardly taken any pictures!  There was cocktail party (with delicious frozen cocktails and chocolate cake!), a football party...with, thankfully, not too much focus on the football!  I had a trip to Glasgow to see one of my bestest teacher pals, and last night I had dinner with these lovely ladies :)  




And that's not including all the other lovely days, like spontaneous IKEA trips, 'helping' my uncle move house, a couple of very chilled out sofa days, joining the gym (and actually going!), a very fun planning sesh for next year and chilling in the sun with my mum.


Phew...I'll be glad of the rest when I have to go back to work!  What's next?

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post dear!pictures are so lovely!Keep in touch xoxo

    ReplyDelete